Skip to main content

Teach your child life skills

How you can teach your young child life skills

Image via: Articles Web

Children love to learn about life, not everything has to be counting numbers or learning letters. Obviously adding this to activities is good too. Learning is fun!

What I love about life skills is you can teach your child something you love.


Baking

For me it's not baking but for my husband it is! Our children love to help in the kitchen by pouring in already measured cups of ingredients and mixing it together! They will watch the entire process from start to end.

Painting

I am creative, so for me, I love to paint. So painting with my children is lots of fun. We all have our own painting notepads to create our own pieces. While learning about mixing of colours, different techniques and just having fun! View my Get Creative blog here for some ideas.

Business

My husband owns a business so my children are learning through observation about customers, pallets, deliveries, nuts and bolts, fixing tools and a wide range of things by just being around my husband at work.

Dancing

I love to dance! My children love to dance as well and it's great for them. So turn on the volume and get dancing.


Fitness

It's important for your child to see you active. My husband signed up to baseball and coached our child's teaball team. Both children now love baseball. I started aerial silk lessons and now our children love to copy by hanging on the fitness bars or my oldest even holding the bars, while doing the splits in the air.

There are so many life skills your child can learn, from playing board games and monopoly to gardening and sport. The most important aspect is you are spending quality time with your children doing things you love to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why you shouldn't stress your child when it comes to handwriting

Image via: Kidspot
The easy no fuss way (that sometimes we forget), is to not stress ourselves or our child about their hand writing. Just give them time to practice it more.

At the end of Prep, we got called in for a parent interview. "Just thought you should know, I feel your son is struggling with hand writing."

We looked at what our son had written. He wrote two sentences using big words.

Afterwards we left and my husband said, "you know what, I looked at his writing and I thought it was really good."

I thought it was good to, considering he couldn't even write his name at the beginning of school.

However, I didn't ignore the advice. Instead, we practiced. He wrote every body Christmas cards and I did check the other kids Christmas cards, again similar writing then his.

Yet, we practiced, not too much but at least once or twice a week for about ten to twenty minutes and we stopped whenever he got tired from it.

When we practiced, I kept it light. I didn…

Intro and house rules

Image via: LearnAirbnb.com
I have been a writer for over 6 years and one subject that I have stayed away from writing is anything on parenting. As we all know there is no one way to parent and it's the same with teaching your children. There is no one way is the right way.
What I write about here is my experiences and my advice but I also want you to know that this is not the only way to help your child to learn, but do try it and if it works for you and your child, excellent but if not, it's good to keep experimenting and try other ways.
As a new Mum to the school system, I have found that a lot has changed since I went to school and I have spoken to many parents who say the same.
Such high expectations can really stress us parents out and can even stress the child. So I am hoping this blog will be a go to and you can read about potential ways to help your child improve. House rulesWhat I write about is not the only one true way.In addition, every school and even classes in …

Why homework is good for young kids

Homework in Grade One Image via: JFC CZ as
Homework is an interesting topic as some adults think homework isn't good due to various reasons.

However, as a parent I have found homework to be worthy. Here is why:
How to tackle homework I try to spend up to 30 minutes every night doing 'Activities' with my children before bed.

These 'Activities' include homework, practicing writing, maths, reading, word games and puzzles and more.

How we do it is we break down our homework over the week. For example, in grade one it is about spelling. We receive about six spelling words a week. In this instance, we would practice to spell two words a day. The next day we go-over what we learned the day before and then add two more words.

On the fourth day, we will do our maths homework.

However, this only takes about 10 minutes of our evening activities. I then ask my child to read his book sent home from school. Another 5-10 minutes.

This gives us ample time to practice other school …